I have to say that I am completely taken by surprise by this wonderful nomination by Fun in the Fours. It looks like great fun, so I will carry on the tradition by following the rules for this award.
First, I will post 11 random things about myself.
1. I was born and raised in the South.
2. I can remember the birthday of every student I have ever taught.
3. I have a daughter in seventh grade.
4. I hate having colonoscopies.
5. I have taught 1st, 3rd, and 4th grades. Fourth grade is my favorite.
6. My favorite sport to play growing up was softball.
7. I am short.
8. I am a Gemini.
9. I love my job.
10. I am a Maroon 5 fan (and I'm going to see them in concert soon).
11. I have wonderful co-workers.
Now, I will answer the 11 questions asked of my nominator.
1. How long have you been teaching and what grade do you currently teach? I teach fourth grade and this is my fifteenth year teaching.
2. What advice would you give a brand new teacher? Make sure you are passionate about teaching and inspiring children. There are more and more demands being put upon teachers, and the salary is minimal. You do not always get the recognition you deserve, and you have to put in lots of hours. But, when a child looks at you and tells you how much you've taught or inspired them and how you're the "best teacher in the world," it will all be worth it. If it's not, find another career. :)
3. What made you decide to enter the blogging world? I have been inspired by many blogs out there and decided to try my hand at starting one up. I don't exactly know what I am doing, but I am never too old to learn.
4. Which blog do you really love to read? There are so many blogs that I love reading. One of my favorites is Teaching in Room 6.
5. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go and why? I would love to visit Hawaii some day. I have heard that it is beautiful.
6. What pets do you have? I have three dogs and a cat. I am a sucker for animals.
7. When you were a child what was your favorite book? I didn't like to read as a child. I do remember reading Encyclopedia Brown books and enjoying them. What is your favorite children's book today? I have so many favorites! One of them is Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events. I've read it aloud to my third graders for many years, and now my fourth graders are all hooked on the series. It has rich vocabulary, advanced-level humor, and a great story-line.
8. Do you speak any other languages? Unfortunately, I only speak English. I wish I could speak another language.
9. What is one item you can't live without? I have to say that I couldn't live without my cell phone. I can use it for just about anything I need, and it gives me a sense of security. :)
10. If you look up from the computer right now what do you see? I would see my T.V. I am on my laptop on my couch right now.
11. What is your favorite charity? I have a friend who has started a non-profit organization to help families pay non-medical bills while their children are fighting cancer. It is A Community Effort.
I will continue this post in Part 2.